The US Army's redeployment camps (repo depos) near the French city of Reims were all named after American cities. The city itself was used as the headquarters of the Assembly Area Command which was the central organizing entity for all of these camps. The photos on this page were taken by Jerry Pinkowski of the 347th Ordnance Depot Company at Camp Baltimore which was located about 25 miles southeast of Reims.
General Patton's Third Army took control of Reims on August 29, 1944. General Eisenhower established his headquarters there also which was where the German Capitulation Act was signed on May 7, 1945. Historically, Reims was a very important French city as it was the traditional coronation site of French kings. It is also the capital of France's Champagne region.