index heading

Regensburg, Germany

Regensburg is a German city in Bavaria located at the confluence of the Danube and Regen Rivers. The first settlements of the area date all the way back to the Stone Age. Later the region would host several important Roman forts. From the 6th century to the first half of the 13th century Regensburg served as the capital of Bavaria. In 1146 a stone bridge crossing the Danube was completed which opened a booming trade route between Venice and Northern Europe. Regensburg enjoyed a golden age of trade and became a cultural center of southern Germany known for its fabrics and goldsmithing. In 1245 the town became a Free Imperial City and in 1486 became part of the Duchy of Bavaria only to have its independence restored by the Holy Roman Emperor in 1496. From the mid 17th century to the 19th century the city was the permanent seat of the Reichstag of the Holy Roman Empire, making Regensburg one of the Empire's central towns, attracting large numbers of visitors. In 1803 the city was given to the Archbishop of Mainz and Archchancellor of the Holy roman Empire in compensation for Mainz which had become French under the Treaty of Lunéville. In 1810 Regensburg was ceded to the Kingdom of Bavaria in exchange for the towns of Fulda and Hanau.

During World War II Regensburg was an Area Headquarters of Military District XIII in command of the military forces of the surrounding towns. Regensburg was also the site of an oil refinery and a Messerschmitt Bf 109 factory and was therefore targeted by Allied air raids. Despite this, compared to the other major German cities which were devastated by the Allied air campaign, Regensburg was left mostly intact.

Some of the landmarks visible in these photos include the Cathedral of Regensburg, dedicated to St. Peter and founded in 1275 and completed in 1634, except for the towers which were finished in 1869. It's considered to be the finest example of pure German Gothic architecture in southern Germany. The Goldener Turm.

The 50 meter high Goldener Turm (Golden Tower) dates from 1260 when it was part of a castle which stood on the site. It is the tallest tower still standing from the town's defenses. Today, the tower has been converted into apartments and is operated by the town's university. The mid 13th century clock tower of the Old Town Hall can be seen in one of the photos too.