Longwy is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in northeastern France on the Chiers River, near the borders of Belgium and Luxembourg. Formerly part of the Duchy of Bar, Longwy was annexed to France in 1678. It was fortified in the 17th century by military engineer Vauban. The town was successfully assaulted by the Prussians in 1792 and 1815 and again by the Germans in 1870 and 1914.
Longwy has long been dominated by metallurgical industries and mining but closures of iron mining and other plants in the 70s and 80s forced the town to restructure its economy. In one of the photos on this page, a mountainous slag heap can be seen, a by-product of the metal and mining industry located there.