The Heinkel He 111 was a medium bomber used by the Luftwaffe in World War II. To outward appearances it was developed in 1935 as a fast civil airliner, but it entered service with the Luftwaffe in late 1936 and saw its first combat in 1937 as part of the Condor Legion in Spain. After the declaration of war in September 1939, the He-111 was heavily involved in all the Luftwaffe's early campaigns -- Poland, Scandanavia, France, The Low Countries and the Battle of Britain. Depending on the variant, the He-111 was powered either by two Daimler-Benz DB 601A-1 inverted V-12 engines or two Junkers Jumo 211-D1 inverted V-12 engines. The final version of the He 111, the He 111H, was continually upgraded and improved in a long series of sub-variants and served on all fronts, by which time it was well outdated. It was pressed into service as a strategic bomber, night bomber, pathfinder, torpedo bomber, transport, glider tug, and a launch bed for various missiles including the V-1 flying bomb. Some of the He 111s pictured here were among the many aircraft pooled together near Brunnthal, Germany by the 2nd Air Disarmament Wing at the end of the war.
Donald, David, Ed. Warplanes Of The Luftwaffe. Westport CT: AIRtime Publishing, Inc., 1994.
Wilson, Stewart. Aircraft Of WWII. Fyshwick, ACT: Aerospace Publications, Pty Ltd., 1998.