The Arado Ar 96 was adopted in 1940 to be the Luftwaffe's standard training aircraft. 11,546 were produced during the war years and development continued after the war in Czechoslovakia and France. Most were not manufactured by Arado itself, instead Ago Flugzeugwerke in Germany and Avia and Letov in Czechoslovakia were assigned production. Primary trainer and advanced trainer versions were built, the latter being more powerful and armed with a single 7.92mm machine gun in the upper cowling and provisions for light bombs under the wings. In addition to being the main workhorse of the Luftwaffe's fighter pilot training program, the Ar 96 served with secondary liaison, glider towing, reconnaissance, and communications units. Some, fitted with 7.9mm machine gun gondolas under the wings served as light tactical strike aircraft on the Eastern Front. The captured Ar 96 pictured here is operating under new management, probably as a "station hack."
Wilson, Stewart. Aircraft Of WWII. Fyshwick, ACT: Aerospace Publications, Pty Ltd., 1998.
Jane's Fighting Aircraft Of World War II. New Jersey: Crescent Books, 1994.